• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Tiger Woods

I am not a fan of golf and have only played a few time when I was younger. Having said that, what I saw yesterday watching Tiger Woods finish that round of Golf was amazing. Talk about playing in pain, sure hope he didn't damage himself permanently. I have heard and read that Tiger wasn't/isn't the most popular person in golf, but I think he changed that yesterday. That round of golf will probably go down as one of the best Sports stories of all time, no matter what happen today, win lose or drop out he showed why is is the best. I was watching the Nationwide and Truck races and finally ended up putting on the golf and watched the final 6 holes. That Egale he got was crazy lucky but when your good you have luck also.

Tom
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

He did it--again!

Unfortunately I had to work, but just reading about it gives me goosepimples!
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by germdoc
      He did it--again!

Unfortunately I had to work, but just reading about it gives me goosepimples!
      That didn't stop me. A bunch of us watched it at our desk just now. I like
      the underdog to win but you have to give props to Tiger's skill. Amazing!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

A gritty performance for both Tiger and Rocco. It's about as entertaining as watching golf can get. Tiger does snap his knee to add distance to his shots, so I'm sure it was uncomfortable, but this does not compare to what many football players (and soccer, and rugby, and others) routinely endure without all the hullabaloo. Heck, while with the Rams, Jack Youngblood once broke his leg in a football game, and finished the game on it before he would let them treat it. At least Tiger didn't have to worry about some 300-pound guy hitting him every thirty seconds...

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

They did play it up pretty good. If he is that good on a gimpy leg, look out when he get healthy. I have a feeling he won't be playing to much longer, maybe until he passes Nicklaus for the most Majors. Still impressive as he had to walk the course for 5 days and no resting between holes that I saw.

Tom

Comment

• bfrikken
            • Apr 2005
            • Michigan, USA.
            • BT-3100

yeah, i thought it was amazing how he played and pulled it out. great golf, and great sports for any fan.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'm much like you in that I'm not a golf fan and have only played a few times when I was younger. I typically find golf to be a pretty boring sport to watch, but Tiger Woods is amazing. It's a privilege to live during an era when we can watch what is likely the the greatest golfer to ever play the game. He's absolutely the guy to beat at every tournament he enters, and it seems no matter how hard he's pushed, he finds to a way to top everyone else's best efforts. He's arguably the most dominant athlete in modern sports.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Thalermade
                • Dec 2002
                • Ohio
                • BT 3000

Originally posted by Dustmight
                I'm much like you in that I'm not a golf fan and have only played a few times when I was younger. I typically find golf to be a pretty boring sport to watch, but Tiger Woods is amazing. It's a privilege to live during an era when we can watch what is likely the the greatest golfer to ever play the game. He's absolutely the guy to beat at every tournament he enters, and it seems no matter how hard he's pushed, he finds to a way to top everyone else's best efforts. He's arguably the most dominant athlete in modern sports.

If you have never seen the 60 Minute inteview with Tiger Woods, it is a very good primer into who Tiger is and what makes him tick. Tiger says (paraphrased) "I love to compete, I don't want to just win, I want to kick butt"

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/1/tiger_woods

Rooted for Rocco, but what can you say...
                Russ

Comment

• bfrikken
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Michigan, USA.
                  • BT-3100

When Tiger made that putt to send it to an extra day, they flashed to Rocco who said, "I knew he'd make that putt." and you could also hear another pro in the background saying, "That's why he's Tiger." I thought that was an ultimate sign of respect to his talent to have another pro refer to him that way. Not he's great, he's awesome, etc, but He's Tiger.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

No question Tiger has the skills. But, I do wonder what will happen when he decides to hang up the bag and go live on his yacht. I can't see him doddering around the Seniors tour (which he can't do anyway for another 20 years). I can't see him able to justify working the broadcast booth. So what happens to the game when it's greatest talent retires and relegates himself to putting his name to course designs for insane fees. The game needs him as an ambassador, but I fear he will no longer need the game, or feel the pull to give back. There's only one Tiger, but sadly enough, he's no Arnold Palmer. There is only one King.

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      . But, I do wonder what will happen when he decides to hang up the bag and go live on his yacht.
                      He has a foundation that gets inner-city kids involved with golf, and I think he's very active in that. I think he has a clothing line to manage. As a Stanford graduate, you'd think he would have some other ideas on how to spend his time.

Do you think we should introduce him to woodworking?

JR
                      JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                        Do you think we should introduce him to woodworking?
                        Nah... too much standing...

I'm sure his foundation will continue, but what will mean more to those kids than the money is face time with Tiger. I hope he sticks with it. He will surely not have to do much else. He's got his course design firm up and running, and will no doubt be able to generate much income from that (although many who have been making a killing there are seeing the current crash in golf course development taking its toll on their gravy train...).

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Redford MI.
                          • Craftsman 21829

Tiger Woods and Stevie Wonder.

Stevie Wonder and Tiger Woods are in a bar. Woods turns to Wonder and says, "How's the singing career going?"

Stevie Wonder replies, "Not too bad. How's the golf?"

Woods replies, "Not too bad, I've had some problems with my swing, but I think I've got that going right now."

Stevie says, "I always find that when my swing goes wrong, I need to stop playing for a while and not think about it. Then, the next time I play, it seems to be all right."

Tiger says, "You play golf?"

Wonder says, "Oh, yes, I've been playing for years."

Woods says, "But you're blind! How can you play golf if you can't see?"

Wonder replies, "I get my caddy to stand in the middle of the fairway and call to me. I listen for the sound of his voice and play the ball toward him. Then, when I get to where the ball lands, the caddy moves to the green or farther down the fairway and again I play the ball toward his voice."

"But how do you putt?" asks Woods.

"Well," says Stevie, "I get my caddy to lean down in front of the hole and call to me with his head on the ground, and I just play the ball toward his voice."

Woods asks, "What's your handicap?"

Stevie says, "Well, I'm a scratch golfer."

Woods, incredulous, says to Stevie, "We've got to play a round
                          sometime."

Wonder replies, "Well, people don't take me seriously, so I only play for money, and never play for less than $10,000 a hole."

Woods thinks about it and says, "OK, I'm game for that, when would you like to play?"

Stevie says, "Pick a night."

Comment

• TB Roye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

That is good, You know Tiger could probably play the same way and win.

Tom
                            Last edited by TB Roye; 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Gator95
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Atlanta GA
                              • Ridgid 3660

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                              A gritty performance for both Tiger and Rocco. It's about as entertaining as watching golf can get. Tiger does snap his knee to add distance to his shots, so I'm sure it was uncomfortable, but this does not compare to what many football players (and soccer, and rugby, and others) routinely endure without all the hullabaloo. Heck, while with the Rams, Jack Youngblood once broke his leg in a football game, and finished the game on it before he would let them treat it.
                              Turns out, Tiger's leg was broken...

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world...-woods.html?hp

Double stress fracture of left tibia.

Comment

Working...