• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Music to my Ears

Hi gang (and Happy Father's Day!) - About a year and half ago I posted about completing my first guitar for my 16 year old son. It was a challenging and very rewarding project that was way over my head. The first time I heard him play it was a combination of woodworker's euphoria and father's pride....a definite "choke back the tears" moment! My son is basically self taught and has gotten to be very good on the guitar, but he isn't currently being offered any scholarships for his ability, if you get my drift. I enjoy hearing him play everytime, but I've always wanted to hear an advanced player go to town playing that guitar, and yesterday I finally got that chance.

My 21 year old son's band practiced at the house yesterday. Their lead guitar player is just 18 year's old and has got to be a borderline prodigy who I've heard play before (not sure how long the band will be able to hang on to him). His guitar happened to be in for repairs so he practiced using the one I made. I was treated to a good 90 minute session of hearing an outstanding electric guitar player go through the motions on an instrument I made. I enjoy building furniture and get alot of satisfaction from the whole experience, but furniture doesn't exactly coax the same variety of primal emotions the way an instrument can. It was so cool to hear him shred, bend, strum and switch up the sounds on something I made! ...I'm sure you luthiers and instrument makers can identify with the feeling. Just had to share the moment somewhere!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

And a Happy Father's Day to you. It sounds like you just got enough enthusiasm built up to keep you making guitars for a long lifetime. Congratulations on being able to realize the ultimate on something you made.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Does sound like a rewarding experience.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Very cool. An experience that few of us can truely appreciate.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

Working...