• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there are routers and there are routers

Funny thing happened to me this morning at Tennis. Friend of mine cornered me as I was about to play and said "My router died, what brand should I buy?" So I asked him if he had a plunge router or a fixed base router and he gave me quizzical look. So I started explaining the difference and he got more confused. Finally he said, is D-Link OK?

I guess i should have known better, I had helped him with networking before and as I was answering his question I was even wondering how he knew I was into woodworking - some of the other guys know but I hadn't discussed it with him.

Anyway, D-Link or Netgear. Avoid Linksys.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Loring, that's funny! Thanks for the early laugh.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Funny thing happened to me this morning at Tennis. Friend of mine cornered me as I was about to play and said "My router died, what brand should I buy?" So I asked him if he had a plunge router or a fixed base router and he gave me quizzical look. So I started explaining the difference and he got more confused. Finally he said, is D-Link OK?

I guess i should have known better, I had helped him with networking before and as I was answering his question I was even wondering how he knew I was into woodworking - some of the other guys know but I hadn't discussed it with him.

I like Linksys, with other software. When he said D-link, did you say for a D handle get a DeWalt 618, PC 693, or Bosch 1618?

Had that same issue when trying to found out information without a brand or model number, with google.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Loring, you're too multi-faceted for your own good!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I'll never forget doing an internal course at IBM with an English instructor who insisted on talking about "rooters" the whole time

Then again, you have a router and Route 66
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• niki
            • Nov 2006
            • Poland
            • EB PK255

Ya, it is funny...

You know that there is a forum named "routerforums" it's those two guys, father and son and maybe you watched them on the "woodworkingchannel".

One day, some guy posted a question about routers and gave some numbers that does not sound like DeWalt or Bosch....took some time till somebody replied that "this is a woodworking forum, not computers"....

I have the D-Link and....it works good for the last 3 years.

niki

Comment

• os1kne
              • Jan 2003
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT3100

I've had good luck with Linksys for many years on many networks, but I haven't done much of that type of work for a couple of years now, so maybe they've gone downhill.

For some reason, I never had much luck with D-Link. Others that I trust swore by them, but the 2 or 3 D-Link routers that I used never worked well for very long. Never had a problem w/ Netgear.
              Bill

Comment

• ars_lurker
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • Iowa
                • Craftsman 21829/'59 Delta Unisaw

My 2 cents..Being the network geek that I am, I go for the big guns. I use a Cisco router with an ADSL module and a 4-port Fast-Ethernet module for my home networking needs. You pay more for the devices but none of the BestBuy brands come close to the quality or features.

Side note.... Linksys may be owned by Cisco but they are NOT the same devices.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

Different strokes for different folks. I use Linksys exclusively. It is the only brand I will use when I install home networks for others and I have had nothing but issues out of every other brand. But that's me.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• kirkroy
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Brunswick, MD

I'm disappointed that work sent a dumbed down linksys home so I can't use it with the other software.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a pile of defunct Linksys wireless routers that lost some function at one time or another, One after the other, lasting only a few months each. I finally replaced with a D-link that's worked flawlessly forever. I've never had a piece of netgear stuff go bad either. That's how I based my call.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheRic
                        • Jun 2004
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

Been there, done that, had to buy my own stinking shirt. More than once. If you happen to be thinking in one frame of mind, when someone asks you a question you don't even think about the question meaning something else.
                        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

My Linksys router does great. Has a little trouble on the 1/2 blind dovetails though.

Tom

My Linksys router is far better than the one AT&T sent me our wireless DSL network, at least it stays on the correct network and doesn't try to hook up to all the neighbors wireless networks like AT&T's does.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                            • Dec 2007
                            • Indianapolis, IN

I have a pile of defunct Linksys wireless routers that lost some function at one time or another, One after the other, lasting only a few months each. I finally replaced with a D-link that's worked flawlessly forever. I've never had a piece of netgear stuff go bad either. That's how I based my call.
                            No worries and no ill will meant. As the saying goes, YMMV. I am also a Chevy guy and some people would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy. To each their own. Maybe some day in the future all my Linksys gear will crap out and all your D-Link and Netgear stuff will also and we will switch camps.
                            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

D-Link had most of their stuff, hitting a person's server, to the point where he was getting fined for bandwidth (Time server if I remember correctly). That went on for some time
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...