X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Homier Tool Sale

Homier is here in Montgomery, AL at the Garrett Coliseum. Is it worth me going or should I skip? I've never been to one.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

If it's close I would go, it came here 2 days before Christmas. I went and spent about $10.00, but it was fun. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• mater
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • SC, USA.

I went to one a few years ago. If it is like the one that comes here then I wouldn't get excited about going. Like Bill said if it is close and you got time to kill then check it out.
      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Money spent on homier is like money that fell thru a hole in your pocket. that $10 could get you a fatigue mat elsewhere; the $20 would get a cheap dust-mask at walmart... all better than even the time spent at homier.

i got a trim-router from them - it ate up a bit and never let go, till i had to whack it so hard that the bit broke . bought some hand chisels that proved unusable even the first time .

they cheat me once, shame on them; they cheat somebody else i could have warned, shame on me.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• thrytis
          • May 2004
          • Concord, NC, USA.
          • Delta Unisaw

Homier mostly sells cheap Chinese tools roughly comparable in quality and price with Harbor Freight. There are a few items generally thought of as a good value, such as a $16.99 mobile base. Like the others said, if it is close by and you have time to kill go, but if you have to go out of your way you are probably going to be disappointed.
          Eric

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by thrytis
            Homier mostly sells cheap Chinese tools roughly comparable in quality and price with Harbor Freight. ....

Except when all is said and done and you find the tool is unadulterated Cr@p then they are long gone and you have nowhere to return it to.

At least HF you can return it a few days later.
            HF's saving grace is that they'll take almost anything back.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It can be worth going. Lots of Harbor Freight type trinkets, but there are some good values (like the mobile base), and occasionally they have brand name closeouts. Two years ago they had new Delta 37-195 6" stationary jointers for $150...not refurbs! I bought one for a friend, but in hindsight wished I'd bought the pallet!

Sometimes the checkout lines are slow...

Loring, Homier does have a mail order business (maybe even a store front somewhere), so I think you could probably handle major returns for defects through them. Also, if you buy a defective product, you can deal with the sale site until they closeup... Hey, wouldn't be fun to have Homier stores pop up all over to compete with HF!
              Last edited by Knottscott; 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Daryl
                • May 2004

If you have time go, you will find something cheap to play with. I bought the chisel set and they were junk out of the box but I spent a bit of time with them and they are at least better. Circular saw blades for a buck, ok to use on recycled lumber and floors until the carbide breaks off. Tape measures for a buck, loan them and not worry about getting them back.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I'll pile on and echo what everyone else has said. It's basically Harbor Freight with carnies.

I have found a few known throwaway items, but never anything special.

I do wish the Cummins show would come around more. At least they have recon Ryobi tools. The one and only that I have been to had BT3100's at $200.
                  Joe

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

The mobile bases are decent and the bulk zip ties are a good deal. The tap/die set is useless. For the most part, you get what you pay for.
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• burrellski
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Saint Joseph, MO.

I was fortunate enough to pick-up one of the Delta 37-196 jointers for $150 a couple years ago. Unbelievable deal. They were buried in the back with no price or identification. Should have bought the pallet.

I've been a few times since then hoping to find another hidden treasure but haven't spent so much as a penny.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

From my list of best to worst...

Harbor Freight
                        Cummins tools
                        Homier

We have in my area, a Harbor Freight, and a Cummins tools store, less then 5 miles (the long drive), apart. Homier, has had a couple of sales before, in between them. Both Homier and Cummins have store fronts with mobile sales divisions as well. And I have heard a Cummins store manager bi@@@ing out his employees, to sell more Cummins labeled stuff as he gets a commission on it. The employee responded, "do I get a commission on it, because I don't care if they buy that cr@p, when they can buy the other brand, which is better, and I don't deal with them bringing it back".
                        I remember the post on the jointer, and I remember reading good things about the mobile base (they never had them at mine). We haven't had a sales event in a couple of years, and my parents tried to buy me a bench grinder as a Christmas present one year. I pluged it in, and turned it on, put my finger to the wheel, and the wheel stopped.
                        I would look for their website and find out return policy. Then whatever you buy, immediately try and be prepared to return. It would be worth a look, due to the luck of the Jointer incident, but don't be prepared to spend.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Looks like I may take a pass then. I went to a Cummins sale a couple of years ago, and wasn't too impressed then. Most of the refurb stuff was more expensive than if I bought new.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Weir, Ks, USA.
                            • BT3000

I have had some pretty good luck with Homier, and I try to always make their sales. You do have to watch what you buy, for example I bought one of their titanium drill bit sets, and the drill bit twisted, instead of drilling! On the other hand, I bought an air compressor from them that I used for over 10 years, and then I broke the air supply connections by getting it knocked over. I always enjoy their sales and usually spend around $100 or more.

Bill
                            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• 4estgump
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
                              • Ryobi BT3000

I always go when they are here. You may find something great and you may find junk. Try to go the first day, thats when i'm lucky or not. Last time got a 4ft. heavy plastic table with fold down legs for $19.00. The same one Wal-mart sells for $39.00. They also have a web. site for handling problems & you used to be able to buy from the site. If it's close and the first day go.
                              4est

Comment

Working...