Coffee recommendations? (K-cup, single serve)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Coffee recommendations? (K-cup, single serve)

I'm getting LOML this Keurig single-serve coffee brewer for Christmas. I chose the B-60 instead of the new B-70 because it has the power switch on the front, it's supposedly not that much louder than its big brother, and I've read that the 11.25 oz setting that only the B-90 has is just too much water for a single k-cup for a consistently quality brew.

Now I need recommendations for what k-cups to get her. I'm not a coffee geek, so I thought the "around the coffee pot" forum was the perfect place to ask I see brands like Coffee People, Green Mountain, Timothy's, Gloria Jean's, Diedrich, Caribou, Newman's Own and more. And each brand has a variety of blends.

When we go to a coffee shop she always gets the "bolder" option. She never adds any sweeteners and only occasionally adds like 1/4 teaspoon of cream -- hardly enough to even change the color of the coffee.

Any recommendations out there?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

I'm not a coffee drinker, nor do I play one on TV but LOML does like her coffee. I would suggest a gourmet sampling. Dunkin Donuts, and Seattle's Best are two that she likes. If there is a coffee shop she likes they will often sell the beans or fresh ground. I expect you will want to avoid the flavored ones. If all else fails use the tried and true sniff test. Take a long deep whiff of the fresh ground beans, if you get a buzz just from that, she'll like the coffee.

Bill

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It's going to be a matter of personal taste. I'm a big fan of the Gevalia coffees. One of my favorites comes from the Dahlonega General Store in Dahlonega, Georgia...that'd make for a unique grind for a gift. I tend to drink 8 O'clock coffee for a daily inexpensive grind... it's not a very glamorous gift but tastes a lot better to me than the average names like Folger's, Maxwell House, etc. I also like Dunkin Donuts coffee. I'm not a fan of Starbuck's coffee because it tastes really harsh to me, but it just might be her "cup of tea". I've tried Green Mountain, and like it, but find it to be milder smoother coffee than many, so it might not be a great choice for someone who likes bold flavor.

Ya know, (rubbing chin)...Hartville Tool has "Sawmill Run" coffee! It's actually pretty good and would be perfect coming from you! ..wonder if the Woodnet discount applies?!
      Last edited by Knottscott; 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Handy Al
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Worthington, OH, USA.
        • BT3100

I just visit a friend who has one. He had both the Green Mountain and Newman's Own. I liked both and I like my coffee on the bold side.
        "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I'm a "French Roast" fanatic. I like it when celebrating big events like waking up in the morning. I also like selections from the "Don Francisco" brand.

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
            Ya know, (rubbing chin)...Hartville Tool has "Sawmill Run" coffee! It's actually pretty good and would be perfect coming from you! ..wonder if the Woodnet discount applies?!
            Oh, that's hilarious, Dustmight! I might just have to get that for her. (For the last few years I've gotten her clamps for Christmas, so she won't even bat an eye when a box comes in from Hartville Tool!

Thanks for the input everyone! I found one called "Wake Up Call" (Coffee People) and another called "Bold Black Tiger" by the same company that I might give a try for her.
            Last edited by Alex Franke; 12-15-2007, 09:45 PM.
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I got a Tassimo and liked it so much I got another one for the office.

I'm not gonna comment on the Keurig, let's just say these machines are like crack. I've spent more in coffee the last 2 months than I did all last year. My favorite T-disc is Starbucks' Breakfast Blend, Seattle's Best Henry's Blend is a close second.

Just be aware coffee brewed from the little container may not taste the same as that brewed with a regular drip coffeepot.
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Toolhound
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006

I've owned a B60 for a couple of years and I really like it. You can set the clock on it so that it's ready to go in the morning, just drop in a Kcup and push the button, and you get a perfect cup almost instantly. I tend to buy the bolder Kcups and like the Green Mountain Dark Magic ones a lot. Timothy's Rainforest Espresso is another good one. You will need to purchase a "my Kcup" accessory if you want to use regular ground coffee in this machine (about $10). Amazon is a good source for Kcups - they sell 2 - 25 Kcup boxes in bundles for about $18 - $20, and occassionally they have a code for an extra $10 off a $50 order, etc., and they usually have a good selection to choose from. Most retail stores sell boxes of 18 for around $10 / box by comparison. Enjoy!

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

I keep it simple, Maxwell House or Folger's, whatever is on sale. I fix a pot in the morning and it gets me going.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• jaybee
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Regina, SK, Canada
                    • BT3100-1

I will second the "my k-cup" option. Also, get a bunch of filter cup refills for it. You can then buy your favorite coffee in bulk, and set out each person's favorite pre-filled and ready to go in the morning. It makes it easy for friends to buy "special" coffee for you - it can be a pain to get a particular type in a k-cup.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I've read some terrible reviews on the "my k-cup" filters, though -- people say they only last a couple months and the plastic ends up cracking or just disintegrating.

Do you all know if this was just an old design, or is it still a problem with the "my k-cup" filters?

Comment

Working...