Honda lawnmower saga has unexpected happy ending...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Honda lawnmower saga has unexpected happy ending...

About two weeks ago I posted about our Honda HR215 self propelled walk behind mower seizing up. I was able to free it up but discovered the block is cracked so it was the end of the road as far as we were concerned.

Two days later, a friend at church sent an email about replacing his riding mower, a 17 year old Honda 4514 twin cyliner liquid cooled hydrostatic 42" mower....for $300....I'm jumped at the opportuntity.

This guy is a professor and is as anal as they get. He replaces all his machinery and appliances on a schedule, and it was the mower's "time". He buys a service manual for everything, maintains everything he owns meticulously, and keeps detailed records. I won't go as far as to say it looks new, but it looks really good for a 17 year old machine, and it runs like a top. I'm very happy to say that it now resides in my shed!

It's more mower than we need for our 1/2 acre parcel, but I've waited along time for a deal like this to come along. The 4 guys in our house are all fighting over who gets to mow next!
    Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:25 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Wow, that sure doesn't look 17 years old!

Time to help the professor outfit a full woodshop. Let him know that woodworking machinery should be replaced approx. every 18 months.

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Good steal!!! You should make him your best friend, and offer to take all the those OLD tools off his hands right before their time, just to make sure.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Dustmight
        It's more mower than we need for our 1/2 acre parcel, but I've waited along time for a deal like this to come along. The 4 guys in our house are all fighting over who gets to mow next!
        I can see where you say this with 4 boys to power your previous mower, but from someone that has 1/2 acre and no kids at home I'll say that a rider gives me about 2 hours of shop time each week.

Nice looking mower.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...