Need to know my options regarding a new car issue...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    I have to admit I can't find any reference on the internet to a "cooling off" period or grace period for buyer's regret, for new cars, wherein you can cancel the contract in some fixed amount of time. Sorry. Must have been a urban legend or figment of muy imagination.
    No such law in NYS for car purchases, but are the some laws along those lines for other agreements and contracts such as fitness memberships and home improvement contracts.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Texas splinter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Abilene, TX, USA.
      • BT3100

3-day option

Originally posted by parnelli
      Scott- Hopefully the dealer will work things out. I've always heard that the "3 day return" that is being mentioned here is an urban legend. A quick check of Google, and I could find no examples of it's existence either...
      It has been my understanding that the "3-day" option was passed in some states, but only comes into play if the sales person came to you. i.e.: door-to-door salesman or something like that. If you went to the salesperson (going to a car dealer) then it wouldn't apply.
      "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
      Abilene, Texas

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

It is good that things worked out for you. I hope you enjoy the new car.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A happy ending!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and support, and give an update.

This is a case of all's well that ends well. Thank God! What a fiasco!

It turns out that the car didn't have A/C either (or a radio!)....being March, I didn't really pay much attention to the A/C until Tuesday when it was sunny and warm enough that I reached for the A/C and couldn't find it! I was close to the dealership, and must have looked like a man posessed when I approached the manager standing in the parking lot. He simply said, "that is too much for you to deal with, let's just switch cars". So he called DMV and cancelled the original transactions, and delivered the correct car last night. They even brought in the sales guy on his night off to work things out. I'm not happy that the error occurred, but I'm really happy with their response. Legally I don't think I had a leg to stand on in NYS...which seems unbelievable in this day and age. If the sales guy could grab the wrong car by mistake, others could do it intentionally and get away with it...a few times anyway. I should have noticed as well, but was apparantly pretty distracted. We were very fortunate to not be stuck with a stripped down model...the cost difference is so little in the long run, I can't believe anyone would ever buy one like that.

The new car has tilt/cruise/ac/cd/fog lights/vanity mirror lights/power doors and locks, and power mirrors....a few extras I could have cared less about, but it's got the stuff I specified. I'm pretty happy with it. It has a pretty two tone interior that's light gold and dark brown with some brushed silver accents around the shifter and radio. Many thanks to Fuccillo Hyundai in Greece....they did the right thing in the long run, and I think we both benefitted overall for it....I know I did. The young sales guy and I both learned a valuable lesson.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Texas splinter
            It has been my understanding that the "3-day" option was passed in some states, but only comes into play if the sales person came to you. i.e.: door-to-door salesman or something like that. If you went to the salesperson (going to a car dealer) then it wouldn't apply.
            Exactly . . .

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Dustmight
              until Tuesday when it was sunny and warm enough that I reached for the A/C and couldn't find it!
              They still make cars without Factory A/C???????

I guarantee that you won't find any new cars down here without it.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Congratulations

Just great that you worked it out and were satisfied in the end. That sounds like a great dealer which in my experience in rare these days. Hope you enjoy the car.

Dealers have become so bad in my area that I just go there, look at the vehicles, test drive it, decide which one I want then go to the Internet, ask for quotes and go buy the vehicle at the best price. I have purchased my last three cars and my 5th wheel trailer in this way. Even bought the trailer from a place in Indiana and had it towed to California and still saved thousands $$$.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf

Some dealers in our area won't order any cars without A/C, but it's still just an option at many lots. My truck doesn't have A/C. I'm on the motorcycle if it's above 30 degrees anyway, so I don't often miss it.
                  Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                    • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by Russianwolf

That is not correct. We always had a few, although they were trucks. They called them "hooks" when they were advertised in the paper. Always read the fine print in car ads, of it doesn't say a/c it ain't got it
                    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

Working...