Digital cameras that work well for video?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gugie
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Redwood City, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Digital cameras that work well for video?

I'm positive this group will have several answers to my question-you guys always do!

It seems like all the reviews I read about digital cameras only speak to camera aspect, without mentioning much about the video capabilities. Here's my requirements:

1. I have kids, and want to be able to record those precious moments on a moment's notice.
    2. I don't want to lug around a video camera AND camera.
    3. I have a digital camera which has video capabilities, but the frame rate is slow, making jerky pictures, and the resolution is low. In addition, it doesn't adjust for low light conditions, and I can't zoom while I'm using video mode.
    4. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I think $300 would be tops.
    5. I'm thinking I would use this first as a digital camera, second as a video camera.

Any ideas? I'd submit the question to a camera site, but I trust the combined knowledge in this group.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'm far from a connoisseur, but I've been really happy with my Kodak Z740 for both pics and video.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MilDoc

I have a Canon PowerShot S2IS, has 30fps 640x480 video to the size of your memory card, with stereo sound, 5MP CCD, image stabilization, 12x optical zoom plus 4x digital zoom on top of that, and loads of other features. Let's you snap a phot while shooting a movie. Love it! Can find them on Amazon now for $310 or less, new, since the S3IS has come out, and the S3IS only adds a 6MP CCD and slightly larger LCD viewing screen.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have seen numerous videos taken from still digital cameras and they do not really compare to the video of a DV camera - until recently. My wife has a 1 1/2 year old Canon compact 5Megapixel camera- (forgot the model) and it takes so so video.

I recently upgraded my Mac to the Intel Mac. With it I got the version 6 of iPhoto. She downloads her still and video onto my computer, it goes into the iPhoto program, and it plays very CLEARLY, very smoothly and with fairly good colors too. I am surprised at how nice the videos and sound work from her little digital still camera.

What I am saying is that I can tell that some cameras will work well with short clips of digital movies, but it takes the right software to make it display right. This is not a plug for Mac or iPhoto itself, but it is my thinking that a combination of camera and playback software/ video capability both are needed to get the optimum results.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MilDoc

Videos form the S2IS play back great in WinXP with Win Media Player. All depends on resolution and frame rate, plus the speed of your processor. Also play well on TV via DVD burn.

Comment

• bhbuster
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2005
            • Huntsville, TX.
            • BT3100-1

Hello,

I would get the Kodak Z740 or their P850.

Check out:

http://www.dpreview.com/

You will find reviews and more info than what you can do with concerning digital cameras.

Brian.
            Brian Buster

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Sanyo Xacti. I have an older model (C4). The newer models have better light sensitivity. I like the way my older C4 fits my hand. While I would like the better light sensitivity, I gotta tell you this: A digital camera is like any other tool. Learn to use what you've got, and you can beat the guy with the multi-thousand dollar setup that doesn't have a clue.

http://www.sanyodigital.com/

Neat features: Stores everything on a SD card. Mine (older model) does MP4 video (TV quality approach DVD in just the right conditions). My older model has 8X optical zoom and 4 megapixel stills that can be snapped while the video is running.

Comment

• gugie
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Redwood City, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Thanks!

As usual, great advice from a great group of people. I'll check out the cameras you guys recommended.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

One thing that I have learned is that to get the really good candid shots, you need a camera that starts up real fast, focuses in normal and low light really fast, and takes the picture real quick,

If you can, go to best buy, or Circuit City, and spend some time in the camera dept, THey have memory sticks for all the cameras and you can see which one workrs the best for you in the store.
                  It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gugie
                    Any ideas? I'd submit the question to a camera site, but I trust the combined knowledge in this group.
                    I have found the same thing. This is a great group with great combined knowledge on a lot of different life areas.

I am not a big fan of camera/camcorder combos. Don't get me wrong, it is idiotic that you can not get both in one unit. Lens, CCD's, memory . . . it's basically all the same crap here folks!
                    I have never saw a great camera/camcorder mix, particularly at this price point. A $300 camera I really like, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5S has a cousin that has ok video. Its the Lumix DMC-FX8S. Decent video, decent sound. Sells for under $300. My sister has one and I have taken video to DVD for her from that camera. Like I said, it's ok and maybe on par with the low end DV camcorders. Capacity is limited. Optical image stabilization is taken from Panasonics DV camcorders and works very well for live action.
                    The camera is GREAT. Being able to rapidly fire off photo shots is great. I take hundreds of photos during a vacation and end up keeping 20-30. Seconds make a difference when it comes to capturing the moment just like you see it in your mind. The Leica lenses are well respected and optical zoon is 3 x and digital is 4x.
                    Definately get a fast memory card.

Comment

Working...